Wednesday, August 6, 2008

the intruder



This past Saturday night our little Pomeranian, Bailey, was out in the front yard (it's fenced) barking his little head off at something...which is not unusual. Bailey is very loyal to let us know about any person, animal, or leaf that might pass by our house...which is unfortunate for us - since we live on a very busy street. So I went outside to see what our little Pomeranian was "protecting" us from on this particular night. Well it happened to be another little dog (even smaller and yappier (if that is a word) than Bailey). This dog was right up at the fence and they were having a yapping war with neither one about to give up any time soon. So I went out and scooped up Bailey and brought him inside. "End of story", I thought. I was wrong!
We came home from church the next afternoon and the little yappy dog was not standing at the fence barking...it was standing on our front porch! I couldn't believe it! Mallory promptly went outside and gently tossed the little yapper out of our yard. "End of story", he thought. Guess what!?!? He was wrong! That little dog has some perseverance. It came back time and time again no matter how many places Mallory put bricks so it couldn't wiggle it's way back under the fence.
Ok so now we have TWO yappy dogs "protecting" us. By the end of the night I couldn't take it any more! Just when I thought we were going to drop the little thing off on some other street to "protect" somebody else or call some county service to come and get it...the owner's of the little yapper show up! Apparently, BeBe (yapper's real name) is an inside dog who lives at the other end of our street. Hallelujah! I couldn't believe the wonderful timing - just as I had had enough - they show up and haul the little thing off. "Finally! End of story", Mallory and I thought. We were wrong!
The next morning I wake up bright and early and let Bailey outside. Guess who is waiting on our front porch!?!? I was SO agitated! I stomped into the bedroom and woke Mallory up to let him know that yapper was back. He said, "Uh huh. He came back last night." I couldn't believe our bad luck! How did he get out of his house that fast?
So on and on during this week little yapper would come and go at his leisure. I haven't seen him today...however, I am not about to think this is the end of the story.

3 comments:

livinginthemidwest said...

So much animal drama in your neighborhood...between you all and the Bryants. :o) It sounds like it's never dull.

Joc said...

Matthew and I were wondering whose dog that was when we drove home from church on Sunday... that's so funny!

Yep, we do have quite the animals in our neighborhood. One time a couple years ago, I came home to find not one, but TWO dogs IN our backyard. Sheesh!

Ryan said...

Oh my word! Jess don't start feeding the thing. If we've learned anything from Joc, it's that "if you feed them, they will come", right?
Oh, and I love that Mallory casually answered you (when you stomped back to the bedroom w/ the news) with the fact that he already knew.
Good times!